Two views of the same dumpster near 9th & Washington Avenue in the heart of South Philly's Italian Market. The black & white version was taken in January, and the color version was taken today.
Or... made in January and made today.




I'm on the fence regarding the Take vs. Make concept of describing the act of photography. Taking refers to the aggressive and intrusive nature of photography, especially when it involves people shots....(as well as the phrases...shooting, pointing, capturing, etc) To me, Making leans too heavily towards art and painting. I don't think I make anything when I release the shutter. I am recording an instant in time, I have removed it from the continuum as a frozen moment. We need a word for the act of photography that describes the subtle and thoughtful moment of image recording.

2 comments:

MitMoi said...

I agree with both assessments re: take vs make. I like record. How about capture? Still pretty aggressive.

Photo-shopping *sigh* - why can't we like ALL the impurities? Why are some more acceptable than others? How can we ever expect ANYONE to love themselves - without being neurotic, superficial and tied to using makeup, if these are the only images we ever gaze at?

*returns to bed where there are no mirrors*

Christopher Paquette said...

The only thing about capture is that I can't stand the term "Nice Capture!" that everyone seems to be using these days....

In thinking about this further today, I think I like "Collect". Not sure if it works completely, but I think I'll try it for a while.