My mother bought this book for me at the Harvard Bookstore while I was in Minnesota. Gohlke was one of the participating photographers in the 1975 exhibit "New Topographics: Photographs of a Man-Altered Landscape", which represented a turning point in American landscape photography.

The photographers in this exhibit, such as Robert Adams, Bernd and Hilla Becher, and Stephen Shore among others have been highly influential on my style of work. In fact, I spent many hours around the North Woods campfires discussing all of these names and the New Topographic movement in particular. I am less familiar with Gohlke's work, but he is a highly skilled writer as well as photographer. I've just started this book. It is deep and reflective, and so far an excellent read.

Thoughts on Landscape

2 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

I was able to see the restaging of this exhibition in August at SFMOMA - (I have been a very slack blogger and written little of what I did in the US!) It was spectacular, I had my littlies with me which I think is great for them but makes it slightly more challenging for me to really absorb what was there. SO glad I went tho - thought of your work while viewing - can definitely see the influence.

Christopher Paquette said...

I read about that show at SFMOMA and am so jealous you got to see it! All my favorites are in there...