This is the latest piece in a series of sculptures created from found bird's nests and scavenged driftwood. I set these up as wall hung folk art and mount them fairly high on the wall near the ceiling, the way one would view a nest while walking through the woods. The architecture and meticulous construction of nests is endlessly fascinating to me, and I feel their beauty and simple elegance rivals any man made architectural structure. The simplicity and minimalism is something I am naturally drawn to, in the same way I love wabi sabi design elemants. This series is an exploration of my emotional involvement with the natural environment and the search for wilderness and solitude as a remedy to societal pressures. In addition to the nest sculptures I also manipulate scavenged driftwood and other items into self portrait studies.





I am drawn to these nests in the same way I am magnetically attracted to mini camping trailers or the idea of building and living in the smallest possible house with nothing but the bare essentials for comfortable living. A quick search on the internet will reveal I am not alone in the fascination for cabins consisting of less than 100 square feet; mostly being designed and constructed as rural weekend getaways. The human desire to nest...





Here is an Appalachian Trail nest I built and slept in with my dog back in October. It is nothing more than a log and stone hovel that kept us toasty warm on a cold autumn night. Fully inspired by bird created architecture...

No comments: